Sunday, October 31, 2010

Discover Your Genius by Michael J. Gelb

Michael J. Gelb focuses our attention on 10 people who revolutionized our world and the way we see, think, and interact with the world in his book; Discover Your Genius. In a masterful way Gelb uses the life work of these 10 revolutionaries to shed light on very specific qualities these geniuses honed and used to accomplish their life work. Gelb then goes a step further by providing exercises we can do to make those genius qualities ours.

I gained several key insights that helped me understand my life mission in a better light, and also know how I can better accomplish that life mission. From Columbus I learned how to sail perpendicular to the coastline in order to discover a new world. Gandhi taught and inspired me how to control my appetites. Plato has taught me to appreciate and seek out true beauty. In fact my favorite exercise in the book is in the chapter on Plato where Gelb challenges one to write 100 questions, in one setting- stream of consciousness style, of what is important to you. I was able to do this exercise over a couple hours while my wife and I spent a serene couple days in a Forest Service cabin in Idaho. During this quiet time, unencumbered by the usual stresses of regular life, I was able write out a hundred questions of what was important to me which then enabled me to see deeply into my soul and gain insights about my purpose in life that I was unable to see previous to doing this exercise. For example, I've always known that I want to make a difference in peoples lives, yet have never been able to know exactly where I could make the biggest difference. Writing out 100 questions in one sitting helped me dig deeper into my soul to find out what trully was important to me. This is why when question 86 rolled out of my pen I was quite taken by surprise. I wrote; "What truths give people freedom and purpose, and allowe them to live the life that God would have them live?" I now understand that my greatest contribution will come as I dedicate myself to find and teach those truths that enable men and women everywhere to live the most fulfilling lives.

There are many intellectual gems hidden in this book, which you can mine and then use to make your life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment